How We Operate
Because the weight loss industry is ‘big’ business, it’s attracted more than its fair share of dubious and unethical practices. There are too many weight loss programs offering false hope, quick fixes and claims that are downright outrageous.
So strongly do we feel about the need to be transparent and ethical in business, particularly in an area that impacts people’s lives so dramatically (i.e. weight loss and weight control), that we’ve pledged to two codes of ethics.
One is the Experts Industry Association, a newly-formed association for people in the advice and how-to industry. While we have not yet been able to attend the US event to get a full endorsement, we still abide by their code. Ten of the most important parts of the code are:
1. We will be transparent and truthful about our experience, expertise, results, credentials, and abilities with our customers, followers, peers, media, and the greater public.
2. We will make clear descriptions of any product or service we are offering for sale, including pricepoints and any recurring billing, so that our customers always know what they are signing up for, purchasing, and receiving.
3. We will comply with the marketing guidelines of the CAN-SPAM Act in our electronic communications, including ensuring that recipients of our broadcast emails have opted-in to receive communications from us and that they have the option to unsubscribe or change their contact information at the bottom of all our emails.
4. We will seek to overdeliver on our promises to our customers.
5. We will endeavor to understand our client and audience needs, problems, and ambitions in hopes of serving them with information that can help them achieve their goals.
6. We will honor our customer’s financial situations and not seek to persuade them into spending money they do not have or that could lead to their financial ruin.
7. We will post contact information on all of our sales pages and in all of the receipts/confirmations that our customers receive so that they can always find a way to easily contact our office.
8. We will cite sources and give credit to others when we quote them in any format, and we will not misrepresent others’ works as my own.
9. We will pursue our profession, build our brand, and seek continuing education at the highest levels of excellence and refrain from practices that will discredit the community and industry.
10. We will seek to leave a legacy of strong customer service, and focus our careers on offering distinct and valuable information that helps others improve their lives.
The other is the Weight Management Council of Australia.