Some of you may know about my “If Donna Can Cook It So Can You” series, this series was first inspired when I began learning and practicing to cook with Corinna Kovner. The whole reason for this series is to debunk the myth that you have to be a chef or great cook to be able to cook up easy healthy recipes. As most of us are time poor, I also wanted to make sure these healthy recipes don’t take all day to prepare and cook, so all these recipes have been trialled by me to make sure they are easy healthy recipes.
In this video Corinna and I are making a delicious recipe for coleslaw with chicken. As you will see here, I’m being shown by Corinna just how to cut this recipe for coleslaw down to size, so I can make a quick easy lunch. I am learning as I go and Corinna is showing me some of the tricks that she has learnt from her years of working in restaurants.
What you will find is that this recipe for coleslaw has chicken in it yet you can just as easily leave it out to keep it fresh and full of vegetables. The recipe is below this video so all you have to do is print it out and cook along with us. The dressing is based on aioli, which is also used in this recipe.
This is a hearty lunch that all your family will love because it’s so substantial and full of flavour. Make the extra effort to julienne (finely slice lengthways) the carrot and cabbage as that means the coleslaw doesn’t go all mushy and watery.
- 1⁄2 shredded roasted or barbequed free-range chicken
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 1 green apple, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 bunch shallots, finely sliced
- ⅓ cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup natural yoghurt
- ⅓ cup aioli or mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Chop and combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl combine all dressing ingredients and stir to combine.
- Toss dressing through salad ingredients till it’s nice and moist, but not too sloppy. Serve onto plates and top with a sprinkling of toasted walnuts.
This is just one of the many easy healthy recipes that are part of the “If Donna Can Cook It so Can You” series so make sure you sign up for more healthy chicken recipes and lots of easy healthy recipes too.
Make sure you also subscribe to our YouTube Channel so you don’t miss out on any easy healthy recipes: