Easy Healthy Recipe Idea - Chicken Pesto
I’ve told you in the past that I’m not what one would call a ‘natural cook‘, so I always like to cook things that are easy, quick, healthy AND taste great.
This super simple recipe for chicken pesto fits the bill exactly – I cook this at least once a week!
- Two free range or organic chicken breasts – approx 100g per serve
- Good quality pesto sauce
- Selection of fresh, seasonal vegetables
- Slice each chicken breast lengthways into strips and place in bowl.
- Add 3-5 tablespoons of pesto.
- Stir pesto with chicken until all of chicken is covered in pesto.
- Marinade for 5-30 minutes.
- Cook on medium to high heat until chicken is cooked through and has a nice golden brown colour.
What I love about this recipe is that chicken breast is a great source of protein and the pesto gives it a real flavour boost. You can make your own pesto, but it’s one of those things I often end up buying from the Farmer’s Markets or a good local deli. If you’re buying rather than making your pesto, remember to look at the ingredient list - some of them have a lot of added nasties. A good rule of thumb is to buy it from the chilled section, not from a supermarket shelf!
This dish takes less than 30 minutes in total – it tastes better if it’s marinated a bit longer, but if you’re in a rush a quick 5 minutes will suffice.
To really make this a healthy weekday dinner, you need to add lots of fresh veggies (see photo). I like to add steamed broccoli and beans, as well as some chargrilled peppers. You can be as liberal as you want with all the veggies, but stick to your portion size of chicken – approx 100g per person.
Hope you enjoy one of week day faves! Let me know what you think.